Real Experiences with PTSD – Learn and Heal with These 7 Books
While I, myself, am not a mental health professional, I do know from extensive research by others, that Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is a real and serious condition…
(Sources from research include: http://www.ptsd.ne.gov/what-is-ptsd.html, https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/PTSD-overview/basics/how-common-is-ptsd.asp, http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan08/ptsd.aspx, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297500/)
Affecting many people all over the world – especially in the public safety industry. So, here’s my advice: Read a book! Or two... or three.
In honor of National PTSD Awareness month, read a book.
If you don’t read one of these, give one to a friend. You never know who is hurting from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
According to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, going through trauma is not rare...
- About 8 million adults in the U.S. have PTSD during a given year.
- About 6 of every 10 men (or 60%) and 5 of every 10 women (or 50%) experience at least one trauma in their lives
- About 7-8% of the population will have PTSD at some point in their lives
PTSD can happen to ANYONE. It is uncontrollable, particularly in the case of exposure to traumatic events.
Get educated. Help yourself. Help someone else.
7 books that discuss Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- The Honor Was Mine
- The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog
- The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook: A Guide to Healing, Recovery, and Growth
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence--From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
- The Complex PTSD Workbook: A Mind-Body Approach to Regaining Emotional Control and Becoming Whole
- Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
*These are all top rated and/or best-selling books
1. The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
According to amazon.com, this book is 5 stars and rated #1 in Psychiatry and PTSD category. The New York Times rated it a Science Bestseller.
One Amazon reviewer even said they consider it, “the Bible for anyone affected by trauma.”
This book uses recent scientific advances to show how trauma restructures the brain and body. It also offers suggestions for how to activate the brain's natural neuroplasticity for recovery.
2. The Honor Was Mine
This 5-star Amazon customer reviewed book is dedicated to military veterans.
The author, Elizabeth Heaney, started working on military bases after 30 years as a therapist at her own practice.
The Honor Was Mine presents soldiers’ stories, as well as her own story. A true eye opener of the sacrifices made on the front lines and back home.
Read what Michael Fay, a veteran, thinks of this book: "She Gets It": Elizabeth Heaney's The Honor Was Mine
3. The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog
This, as well, rates 5 stars by Amazon reviewers and is a New York Times Bestseller.
The author, Bruce Perry, is a Child Psychiatrist who voices some of the unimaginable stories from the children he has met.
4. The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
With 4-and-a-half-star rating, this book proves its worth with an encyclopedia approach.
It covers the topic as a whole, offering an outlet for many different trauma situations.
Dr. Glenn Schiraldi writes about treatment alternatives and techniques to show survivors that the other side of pain is recovery and growth.
5. Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence
Originally written in 1992 and updated in 2015, this 4-and-a-half rated book is for anyone who seeks to understand how we heal.
This text will help anyone better understand trauma survivors.
6. The Complex PTSD Workbook
If you want examples and exercises, this book is for you.
You will gain valuable insight while given the opportunity to act and begin the healing process.
This book holds a 4-and-a-half star customer rating and a #1 Bestseller for Amazons Behaviorism Psychology section.
7. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
While CPTSD is a little bit different from PTSD, they can both be treated in similar ways.
The author is a survivor who explains his childhood trauma, ongoing symptoms, and the road to recovery.
It includes tasks, tools, and techniques for recovering survivors.
There are hundreds of PTSD books that can educate and help someone who really needs it.
And hundreds of articles. So get educated! If you're already an expert, tell someone else!
For more information about PTSD help and awareness month, please visit https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand/awareness/index.asp
Want to stay up to date on industry news, trends and tips? Subscribe to our blog today!
About PlanIt Police: We proudly provide an officer scheduling software solution for law enforcement agencies. PlanIt can manage regular schedules, overtime, extra duty, time off, court appearances, and much more. For more information about the company, please go to www.planitpolice.com
Want to read more?
- How to Efficiently Manage Time Off Requests in Your Department
- Law Enforcement Technology Every Dept. Needs – Equipment and Software
PlanIt Police is an online scheduling system for police departments. PlanIt is developed by Ragnasoft, Inc which has specialized in public safety scheduling solutions for over 10 years.
Lancaster, PA 17604